Today is 7 August 2018 and at 11:00 pm this evening Australia’s population will officially reach 25 million.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics estimates:
- one birth every 1 minute and 42 seconds
- one death every 3 minutes and 16 seconds
- one person arriving to live in Australia every 1 minute and 1 second
- one Australian resident leaving Australia to live overseas every 1 minute and 51 seconds, leading to
- an overall total population increase of one person every 1 minute and 23 seconds.
- 24 million in January 2016
- 23 million in February 2013
- 22 million in May 2010
- 21 million in December 2007
- 20 million in October 2004
- 15 million in October 1981
- 12.5 million in 1970 (half of 25 million)
- 10 million in 1959
- 5 million in 1918.
Australia is expected to reach 26 million in the next 3 years.
Imagine all the amazing discussions you can have with your Stage 2 and 3 students thinking about this data and then researching similar data from different countries around the world. Remember there is also a World Population Clock too. This tells your students the estimated population of the whole world at any one point in time.